Schools and Neighborhood
Moreland Courts is ideally located in Shaker Square, which divides the cities of Cleveland and Shaker Heights. Residents have a Cleveland mailing address, while maintaining the option of using the Shaker Heights School District.
The location features access to an array of nearby amenities few locations can offer. They include a short walk to theaters, parks, lakeside trails, public transportation, the region’s preeminent farmers’ market and award-winning restaurants in one of the city’s safest and trendiest neighborhoods.
Moreland courts is also a five-minute drive to University Circle and its world-renowned museums, prestigious universities, the Cleveland Orchestra, nationally ranked hospitals, eclectic restaurants and expansive parks.
Every student in the Shaker Heights School District experiences the rigorous International Baccalaureate philosophy that prepares them for college, career and life. A Shaker education has produced Ivy-League scholars and Broadway stars, Pulitzer Prize winners and trailblazing entrepreneurs. For more information visit Shaker Schools.
High Quality Schools
Residents of Moreland Courts reside within the Shaker Heights School District. Free door-to-door bus service is provided by Shaker Heights for students in grades K though 8, including private schools in Shaker Heights. Older students can take the Rapid Transit to a stop near their school. Frequent bus service offers a 10-minute ride to Case Western Reserve University and other institutions in University Circle.
Residents of Moreland Courts can choose among the highly rated public Shaker Heights School District or a variety of independent and parochial schools. The Shaker Heights public school system is poised to become the first school district in Greater Cleveland to adopt the highly regarded International Baccalaureate program at all grade levels.
- Boulevard Elementary School – K-4th grade (offering the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program)
- Woodbury Elementary School – 5-6th grade
- Shaker Heights Middle School – 7-8th grade
- Shaker Heights High School – 9-12th grade (offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program)
- Hathaway Brown – Private coed early childhood and all-girls K-12th
- Laurel School – Private coed early childhood and all-girls K-12th
- University School – Private all-boys K-8th grade at their Shaker Heights campus and grades 9-12 school located 8 miles east of Moreland Courts. The upper school campus is not covered by the Rapid Transit service, but there is a free shuttle bus from the Shaker Heights campus. For more information, click here.
Other Independent Schools:
There are numerous other K-12th schools outside Shaker Heights and therefore not served by the Shaker bus system or the Rapid Transit but are within easy driving distance of Moreland Courts, including:
- The Agnon School – Toddler-8th grade Jewish school
- Beaumont School – All-girl 9-12th grade Catholic high school
- Communion of Saints School – Preschool-8th grade Catholic school
- Hawken School – Private preschool-12th grade on two campuses
- Horizon Montessori – Toddler-6 years old
- Lutheran High School East – 9-12th grade Lutheran high school
- Ruffing Montessori – Toddlers-8th grade
- St. Ignatius – All-boys 9-12th grade Jesuit Catholic high school (accessible by Rapid Transit through Public Square)
The following higher education institutions are easily accessible by public bus service or Rapid Transit with frequent stops close to Moreland Courts. You can also drive to any of them in a few minutes.
- Case Western Reserve University – Four-year coed undergraduate and graduate programs in the humanities and social sciences, biological and physical sciences, engineering, medicine, nursing, law and business.
- Cleveland Institute of Art – Four-year undergraduate program leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA) and a 4+1 degree program in partnership with Case Western Reserve University for prospective teachers.
- Cleveland Institute of Music – A conservatory of music offering music education to all ages: preparatory, undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a wide variety of instruments as well as conducting, music theory, composition, and more.
- John Carroll University – Jesuit Catholic university offering coed undergraduate and graduate programs located just a few miles east of Moreland Courts.
- Cleveland State University – State university offering coed undergraduate and graduate programs located downtown.
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Cleveland’s international airport is only a 26 minute drive from Moreland Courts.
Larchmere – Dining:
- Academy Tavern (American casual) | 216-229-1171
- Barroco Arepa Bar & Concert Cafe (Venezuelan) | 216-938-9301
- Batuqui, The Flavor of Brazil (Brazilian) | 216-801-0227
- Big Al’s Diner (American diner) | 216-791-8550
- DiVita’s Larchmere Deli (American Deli) | 216-721-0220
- Felice Urban Café (American modern / Vegan friendly) | 216-791-0918
- Flying Cranes Café (Noodle & Tea house) | 216-795-1033
- Larchmere Tavern (American casual) | 216-721-1111
- Poison Berry Bakery (Vegan bakery) | 440-477-2078
Shaker Square – Dining:
- Balaton Restaurant (Hungarian) | 216-921-9691
- Captain Tony’s Pizza & Pasta | 216-561-8669
- EDWINS Restaurant (French cuisine) | 216-921-3333
- EDWINS Too (Eclectic Cuisine) | 216-400-6091
- Michael’s Diner at Shaker Square (American) | 216-752-0052
- SASA-Izakaya Restaurant (Japanese/Sushi) | 216-767-1111
- Señor Tequila (Mexican) | 216-991-2035
- SUBWAY (American fast food) | 216-751-4770
- The Vegan Club (Vegan) | 216-465-2054
- Zanzibar Soul Fusion (Southern) | (216) 916-9422
Shaker Square – Business and Entertainment:
- Atlas Cinemas | 216-921-9342
- Christopher Amira Salon (Hair salon) | 216-991-9992
- Cleveland City Dance (lessons) | 216-295-2222
- Cosmic Bobbins (fashion and gifts) | 800-737-1830
- CVS Pharmacy | 216-991-3904
- Dave’s Supermarket | 216-658-4180
- Fashions by Fowler Boutique | 866-618-1089
- H&R Block (accounting) | 216-751-5385
- Pet Wants (Pet Food) | 216-331-1833
- PNC (banking) | 216-991-5757
- Shaker Square Dry Cleaning & Tailoring | 216-751-3500
- Shaker Square Animal Hopsital | 216-417-4625
- Shark & Minnow (A Strategy & Design Consultancy) | 216-609-3740
- US Bank | 216-283-1070
University Circle – Institutions:
- University Circle (Cleveland’s cultural & educational center)
Note: The Greater Circle Living program offers forgivable loan incentives to full-time employees of eligible nonprofits in the area, in which owners at Moreland Courts may be eligible to participate.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cleveland Institute of Art | CIA
- Cleveland Institute of Music | CIM
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Cleveland Natural History Museum
- Cleveland Orchestra
- Museum of Contemporary Art | MOCA
- University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Western Reserve Historical Society
Shaker Square – Transportation:
- RTA Rapid/Rail Transit 67AX Green Line (Shaker Boulevard)
- RTA Rapid/Rail Transit 67X Blue Line (Van Aken Boulevard)
- RTA Rapid/Rail Transit 66X Red Line (Airport, line switch)
- RTA Bus Route 48-48A (Shaker Square to University Circle)
- RTA General Schedule Information (both rapid and bus lines)
- Shaker Square (official site)
- ShakerSquare.net (community site)
- Larchmere District (one block north of Shaker Square)
- University Circle (a five-minute drive)
- Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (a 10-minute walk)
- North Union Farmer’s Market at Shaker Sq. (Saturdays)
Other Area Institutions:
- City of Cleveland
- Cleveland.com (Cleveland news, The Plain Dealer online)
- Cleveland Public Library (Local branch library)
- Cleveland Skating Club (Private athletics and dining club)
- Cleveland Restoration Society (Historic preservation group)
Note: The Heritage Home Program offers a source of funding for the restoration of historic homes, such as those at Moreland Courts.
- Cuyahoga County (Government)
- Shaker Heights School District (local school district)
Note: While Moreland Courts is in the City of Cleveland, it is also in the acclaimed Shaker Heights School System.
- Shaker Heights Public Library (Local library)
- Shaker Heights recreation (Community activities)
- Shaker Heights Historical Society (Local historical society)
- Shaker Square Development Corporation or SHAD (a neighborhood development organization)